Heart of Florida United Way (HFUW) is celebrating the news that the FamilyWize Prescription Discount Program has reached a new milestone in helping Central Floridians afford the prescription medication they need.
To date, thousands of tri-county residents have saved an astounding $2,034,396 by simply showing their FamilyWize cards at local pharmacies. And with an estimated 80 million Americans now lacking health insurance and prescription benefits, these savings have never been more important.
“By providing savings of up to 75%, FamilyWize is a terrific way for families, seniors and others to afford vital medication,” said Mark Batchelor, United Way Financial Stability Coordinator. “Due to lost jobs, lower wages and disappearing medical benefits, many people are cutting back on medication or skipping it all together. FamilyWize is one more important way United Way is helping people stay healthy and save money in these challenging economic times.”
Text “Family” for Instant Savings
Promoted locally by HFUW since 2009, FamilyWize is FREE, simple and easy to use. Discount cards, which are available by dialing 2-1-1, are presented at the time of purchase for instant savings. As a new feature, savings are now also accessible via smartphones. By simply texting the word “family” to the number 700700, residents will receive an electronic card that can be presented to pharmacy staff and forwarded to family members so they, too, can enjoy savings.
Among other FamilyWize features:
- No enrollment, paperwork or personal information is required.
- One card is good for the entire family and is valid for five years.
- Discounts are applied automatically.
- Nine-out-of-10 U.S. pharmacies accept FamilyWize cards.
- Savings are available to anyone, not just those who are uninsured.
- For those who have health insurance, Medicare or Medicaid, savings may help during deductible periods or apply to medications not covered under regular benefits.
For more information about FamilyWize, click here. To start saving, simply dial 2-1-1 or text “family” to 700700.