With more Americans skipping prescription medications because of the high cost, United Way recently learned that the FamilyWize prescription discount program has saved tri-county residents more than $745,633 over the past three years.
Since United Way first began promoting FamilyWize in 2009, Central Floridians have used their cards more than 44,000 times, according to Joan Nelson, United Way Vice President of Community Investment.
“Due to lost jobs and benefits, a growing number of people, including children and seniors, are going without vital medication,” Nelson said. “By offering significant savings on pharmacy prescriptions, FamilyWize is one more way United Way is helping people stay healthy, save money and survive the ongoing economic crisis.”
Free, Simple & Easy to Use
Promoted by United Way organizations across the nation with the shared goal of reducing medication costs, FamilyWize offers average savings of 35 percent per prescription. Best of all, the cards are available for free by simply dialing 2-1-1. Among the program’s other features:
- No enrollment, paperwork or personal information is required.
- One card is good for the entire family and is valid for five years.
- Discounts are applied automatically.
- Nine-out-of-10 U.S. pharmacies accept FamilyWize cards.
- Savings are available to anyone, not just those who are uninsured.
- For people who have health insurance, Medicare or Medicaid benefits, savings may be realized during deductible periods, during the Medicare Part D “donut hole,” or for medications not covered under regular benefits.
For more information about FamilyWize, click here. To start saving, simply dial 2-1-1 and request your free discount card.