Summer is officially here. With school over, you may no longer deal with scrambling for last minute school supplies or homework assignments. Instead, you may face the dreaded, “Mom, I’m bored!”
Don’t panic! With some planning and creativity, you can come up with fun ideas your kids can do (and you can participate too!) to keep them interested and happy.
- Host a read-in party: Invite your child’s friends over for a book reading. Set out cushions, some snacks and encourage the kids to read their favorite books and talk with each other about why they like them.
- Have your kids produce their own movie: Kids today are amazingly tech savvy and with free apps like Action Movie FX and Stop Motion Studio, your own cell phone can become a professional film camera. Let them take video running outside, playing with the dog or chronicle daily life in your household. Let them edit and add sound effects, then have a screening party for the family.
- Have a box challenge: Pick up boxes from a grocery store or big-box retailer. Challenge your kids to come up with the most original creation. You’ll be amazed how much your kids will be entertained designing cars, houses and forts!
- Prep the next generation of chefs: Encourage your child to pick an easy recipe that sounds appealing. Go the grocery store to pick out ingredients and then prepare it together.
- Coach your mad scientist: Heart of Florida United Way’s Pinterest is full of great ideas for at-home science experiments for kids. From creating a lava lamp to watching butterflies, there are tons of ideas to keep your child entertained (and trick her into learning!)
Free Community Activities
- Library: The library is a great resource not only for free books, movies and music, but also for great year-round activities. Area libraries often host author visits, sing-alongs, art classes and more! Check out the Orange, Osceola and Seminole counties library pages.
- Parks: Check out local parks for playgrounds, events, hiking trails and splash pads for free fun.
- Outdoor movies: Central Florida is full of free outdoor movies. Check out the listings for upcoming showings near you.
The Best Blogs for Activities and Ideas
There a vast amount of blogs out there that have fantastic ideas. Here are some of our favorites:
- Orlando Moms: From budget-friendly cooking tips to summer educational activities, this blog is a great resource for anyone with children.
- PagingFunMums: Not specific to Central Florida, this site is terrific for anyone looking for fun ways to keep kids learning. Our favorite post is “20+ At home Science Projects”.
- SeaWorld Mommy: This blog has information and reviews about local attractions and events.
- Orlando Mommy: this blog is a great resource about events in Orlando, and they even include some cost-savings tips. We love their list of “100 Things to do in Orlando”.
Heart of Florida United Way believes education, both in and out of the classroom, is a lifelong experience and the most influential factor in ensuring a child will grow up to succeed. For more information about how Heart of Florida United Way invests in education, visit www.hfuw.org.